Thursday, July 12, 2012

July 7th.

Hi, I'm back in Jerusalem; had no stable Internet connection in Galilee, so am running behind. I am trying something new; to intersperse pictures with the story.

First stop is a viewpoint of Jerusalem and surrounding geography, plus a trip through terraced farmland. Seeing the geography of the land, helps us understand the narrative better; why attacks come from the North; why the trade routes follow the valleys as they do. The flat mountain in the distance is Herodium, where we will be going later.






 The next picture is Cyndi explaining the imagery of grape vines. Since the vines are growing on the ground, once grapes appear, they will rot if remaining on the ground. It is the vine dresser's job to put a rock under the vine, to lift thee grapes off the ground. He also prunes the branches, to produce better fruit. Another important idea Cyndi reminds us of; the people then knew the Old Testament. When Jesus teaches by parable; people would be finishing the thought because they knew and recognized the story.

Psalm 80:8-9 (ESV) 8 You brought a vine out of Egypt; you drove out the nations and planted it.
9 You cleared the ground for it; it took deep root and filled the land.

John 15:1-11 (ESV) 1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.
2 Every branch of mine that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.
7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.
9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.
10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

We have shifted from the "Land of milk and honey," now to the "vine and bearing fruit."




Next we go to another mansion/fortress of Herod; what else to name it? Herodium. This is a mountain he shaved off the top; an area where he could see Jerusalem but didn't have to put up with it's religious politics, etc.






Next we visited the Shepard's Field. It is surprising to learn the teaching tools helpful in tying things together; an agricultural calendar, political knowledge, geographic knowledge, even shepherding knowledge. As Cyndie says, there are layers upon layers to the narratives.  I also included some pictures of local housing, I found interesting.







  




The last for today has been the Israel Museum. It has a wonderful model of Jerusalem in the Second
 Temple Period. Discoveries, since the model was built, means there are some errors to the original.
 We had little time to explore, so enjoy the pictures.


















 

1 comment: